Search This Blog

Friday, January 22, 2010

Food Bank, Great Assistance

People probaly wonder why should I go stand in a food bank to collect food?

Many people think of it as not being able to support their family, being a loser, or they have to much pride to do this. But what they don't understand is that even the littlest help can make such a big difference.

Food Banks don't require idenitication and you can go as often as you need to, their are also many location distributions that you can attend. Many are once or twice a month. You can get the same foods you would buy at the store, spaghetti, peanut butter, rice, drinks, soup, canned vegtables. And even fresh foods. the food banks I atttend give large bags of lettuce, fruit, and potatoes.

Typlically (with the economy) you could wait inline from 1-2 hrs. But you can meet some amazing people standing in line. Not everyone is poor, some are just out of work, and many are with their kids. I enjoy not knowing who I'm going to meet or talk with while i'm in line. And I am amazed everytime.

It keeps you humble. When you realise how many people need help or how getting the extra support helps your family it keeps you grounded and humble. And often if there are things I recieve from the Food Banks I take and share with my friends.Some of my friends and I go together, and we stand in line together and talk.

The biggest way these programs help, it allows me to strech my income and use my money for other things that come up. A medication co-pay that insurance would not cover, gas, if the car breaks down, or other things that come up out of nowhere.
Its those little things that cathc people for a loop and cause us to borrow money from family, friends, banks, co wokers, or put us in the negative with our bank. Then we get a $25.00 charge. No one likes that.

People don't like handouts, but if you change your additude you will see the money left over in your account to help your family with other things and you will feel good about going to the Food Bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment